Position: Program Advisor
Reports to: Viet Nam Country Director
Location: Ha Noi, Viet Nam
Internal liaison: WCS VN Managers and thematic team leaders, Counter Wildlife Trafficking (CWT) Asia Director, Regional CWT Law Enforcement Advisor, Global Wildlife Crime Analyst
Expected travel: Approximately 10-20% and as required within the country and region if/when needed.
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity. With more than a century of experience, long-term commitments in dozens of landscapes, presence in nearly 60 nations, and experience helping to establish over 150 protected areas across the globe, WCS has amassed the biological knowledge, cultural understanding and partnerships to ensure that vibrant, wild places and wildlife thrive alongside local communities.
WCS Viet Nam Program Overview:
WCS has been working in Viet Nam since 2006, focusing on strengthening the commitment, capacity and actions of the government of Vietnam to combat wildlife trafficking. Through support and cooperation to executive and judiciary sectors, including Ministry of Public Security, Supreme People’s Court, Supreme People’s Procuracy, Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development, and the National Assembly, it has provided and shared intelligence on criminal wildlife networks which help generate well-informed decisions in enforcement operations. WCS Viet Nam have generated a wide range of reliable data on a number of related issues on illegal wildlife trade, trained and briefed about 3,600 law enforcement officers, policy makers, journalist, researcher and managers at nation-wide in investigation and enforcement techniques, legal barriers and distributed a number of technical handbooks and guides. It has assisted central agencies to review and propose necessary changes to national legislation, criminal intelligence analysis systems, inter-agency cooperation. WCS has also facilitated Government to Government dialogue through multilateral and bi-lateral collaboration efforts, between Viet Nam and Asian, African and Latin American countries, to detect and response to illegal wildlife trade networks. Its wildlife health expertise has been leveraged to address unregulated wildlife trade and mitigation of pandemic threats, through collaborative research, training, and policy development. Recently, WCS Viet Nam has also expanded to species conservation, with focus on finding and protecting Rafetus Swinhoei in the wild.
The Program Advisor will provide strategic and technical support to the Country Director, and with her coordination, to different technical staff of the WCS Viet Nam Program to improve project development and implementation, professionalize capacity building, intelligence gathering, case management, and support to government partners to combat wildlife trafficking.
This Job Description is progressive in nature and shall be reviewed and amended from time to time to meet WCS Viet Nam program needs.
• Contribute to the development and implementation of WCS CWT strategy in Viet Nam;
• Assist WCS Viet Nam staff in the implementation of the above, particularly focusing on information gathering, data analysis, case management, reporting and intelligence reports;
• Contribute to the development and implementation of capacity building strategy and approaches with and for WCS Viet Nam staff and partners;
• Assist WCS Viet Nam staff in fund-raising, particularly in the development of new proposals;
• Contribute to briefs, grant reports, programmatic updates and presentations;
· Minimum of five years’ relevant work experience e.g. law enforcement, investigations, intelligence analysis, prosecution, counter-wildlife trafficking or equivalent;
· Proven ability to think strategically and provide guidance in working out solutions to problems or questions related to the work;
· Strong interpersonal skills; proven ability to work well with others in cross-cultural teams;
· Excellent oral and written English.
Desired skills and experience:
· Advanced qualifications in a relevant field of law enforcement, criminology, crime science or equivalent
· Previous work experience in the region
· Competency in Vietnamese language is an advantage but not essential
· Experience working with the non-government/non-profit sector
Application Process: Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications should apply online via this link: https://forms.gle/AWTsv4kqAQDDQLJK9 latest by 23:59 of 29 November 2020.
WCS is an equal opportunity employer and the organization complies with all employment and labor laws and regulations that prohibit discrimination in hiring and ensures that candidates from all backgrounds are fairly and consistently considered during the recruitment process. We are dedicated to hiring and supporting a diverse workforce. We are committed to cultivating an inclusive work environment and look for future team members who share that same value. The organization provides equal employment opportunities for all qualified candidates. The organization does not discriminate for employment based on age, color, disability, gender identify, national origin, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by laws and regulations.