Contracted work: Research about trading of wildlife on online platforms
Location of Services: Virtually/Emails
Date(s) of performance of Services: 21 Oct - 2 Dec 2020
Report to: PO of LEA team
Viet Nam is among the countries in the region with higher percentage of internet users, at 68.7 users per 100 people in 2019. Easy access to the Internet facilitates online trade of products, including wildlife products also. For example, TRAFFIC Viet Nam found 1,095 tiger product items were advertised for sale online in less than two weeks of surveys in 2019.
However, scope of online trading of wildlife products is not studied thoroughly, yet. Therefore, research about trading of wildlife products on online platforms will help to bridge the information gap. The research will inform WCS’ work on combatting online wildlife trade, including outreach to relevant authorities and provide opportunities for engagement with online platforms as relevant.
To understand the prevalence and nature of lion bones and lion products trading on online platforms through research and production of a report.
1. Collect online information mentioned key words about wildlife and posted in different platforms in a defined period of time:
a. Online platforms include websites, forums, e-commerce sites, blogs, social media (Facebook, Youtube, Instagram, Tik Tok, Zalo, WeChat)
b. Duration: 2-year period, from 1 Sept. 2018 to 30 Nov. 2020. Before collecting related information in 2-year period, WCS will require the consultant to collect related information in most recent 2-month period (August to September 2020) to test effectiveness of key words and make adjustments if needed.
2. Analyze collected information and develop a report in accordance with above mentioned objectives.
1. 2 Oct. - 16 Oct.: open bidding announcement
2. 16 Oct. - 28 Oct.: review proposals and prepare consultant contract
3. 28 Oct. - 18 Nov.: collect related information in most recent 2-months period (August to September 2020) to test and make adjustments if needed
4. 18 Nov. - 9 Dec.: collect related information in 2-year period, from 1 Sept. 2018 to 30 Nov. 2020, analyze and report
V. Outputs / Deliverables:
1. A report about situation of lion bones and lion products trading on online platforms for a period 1 Sept. 2018 –30 Nov. 2020
2. Raw data, including spreadsheets, photos/screenshots, videos……
VI. Professional fee and expenses:
The estimated budget, and corresponding methodology and work plan will be submitted by the service provider/independent consultant, and approved by WCS in compliance with WCS Vietnam's norms.
VII. Application Procedure:
Interested candidates are invited to apply by sending CV with proof of relevant experience to WCS, email address: firstname.lastname@example.org by 10:00, 16 October 2020 at the latest. WCS will provide further guidance and requirement to interested candidates.
Email should have subject: “Interest for online platforms research”.
Note: Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.