Contracted work: Reviewing and revising species identification information
Location of Services: Viet Nam
Date(s) of performance of Services: Mar-Apr 2020
Report to: Capacity Building Team Leader
The Wildlife Conservation Society (WCS) is a US non-profit, tax-exempt, private organization established in 1895 that saves wildlife and wild places by understanding critical issues, crafting science-based solutions, and taking conservation actions that benefit nature and humanity. WCS has been working in Viet Nam since early 2006 to strengthen the commitment and capacity of the Vietnamese government to combat wildlife trafficking.
“Giamdinhloai” is a supportive tool developed by WCS intentionally to support Vietnamese law enforcement officers to deal with wildlife criminals. The tool is designed with a user-friendly interface running on a background of a website, Android/iOS apps and software packages, that enables the users to search data for identifying commonly traded species and wildlife products when internet connection is available or even out of range as well.
The “giamdinhloai” tool provides the following key functions:
• Identification of species features
• Identification of wildlife products
• Searching species by names (Scientific name, Vietnamese name, local name and English name)
• Searching species by classification system (Class, Order, Species)
• Uploading species/wildlife product photos for identification support
• Sharing identification documents and legal documents on wildlife protection and management
• Contacts of relevant experts for identification and legal support
Currently the “giamdinhloai” database covers 12 wildlife products and 216 species profiles including 89 mammal species, 59 reptile species and 68 bird species. To easily access to “giamdinhloai” database, users need to register online. It has been introduced to police, customs, border army and forest protection officers in some provinces through trainings carried out by WCS and the USS, and more than 400 user accounts have been activated. The feedbacks from users and experts collected during the operation of giamdinhloai revealed the need to change and improve database of giamdinhloai to meet better users’s demand.
II. SCOPE OF WORK
Review species identification information of giamdinhloai database and update with new and better information.
The consultants will implement below activities:
1. Work with staff in charge of WCS to identify and agree on species informative contents relevant and essential to include in giamdinhloai tool;
2. Collect required information and integrate into giamdinhloai database.
The Consultants need to be satisfied criteria as below:
• Be Vietnamese;
• Having a university degree or higher in Environment, Biology or related fields;
• Having at least 5 years of working experience in projects or programs related to wildlife conservation and research.
V. PROFESSIONAL FEE AND EXPENSES
Professional fee and other expenses (travel, accommodation, per-diem, if any) within the scope of the service shall be based on the consultant’s proposal in accordance with WCS’s cost norms and activity’s budget.
VI. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
Interested candidates are invited to send their application form to WCS, email address: email@example.com by 23:59 on 08 March 2020 at the latest.
Alternatively, application form can be sent by post to WCS, 106- D Building, No. 3 Thanh Cong Street, Thanh Cong Ward, Ba Dinh District, Ha Noi. Please note on envelope as Application of “Consultancy on reviewing and revising species identification information”.
Note: Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted.